Life of an English Hen

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Weird Britain, weird me.

Well I've arrived, back in my own country, as a foreigner.

Well not quite - I did use the 'UK and other EU countries' entrance counter at Heathrow, and no-one stopped me. But in my sister's Surrey village, I feel rather like I'm on a movie set. My sister's house seems to have gained in beauty and comfort in my eyes since I last stayed. So do all the other houses nearby that I've seen. Even the local graveyard looks huge and beautiful, and the grave stones seem so short! (In Japan they're narrow and tall.) I'm observing British landscape and British people as a Japanese tourist might, and not just any faceless Japanese tourist, but my friends whose faces and names I know so well.

So here's some other amusing things...

Eastenders was just on, and there was a girl reading out a Bible reading - again not something you'd see on japanese soap!

This morning we went out for coffee with one of Soph's old colleagues. I was entranced by all the beautiful blond children in the gorgeous coffee shop - I thought the only beautiful blond children in the world were the Wilson children - now I see many other lookalike 'missionary kids' who wouldn't even know what the term meant!

I am enjoying myself, eager for phone calls from friends. finding it strange not to have my own mobile phone so I can't call anyone yet. But the good thing is my future mother-in-law sent me a little present, and it's just what I needed - a watch! So I won't need to ask my mum what I almost asked her on the phone earlier - 'So what time is it with you?' I just need to check my watch! (I think I'll leave my computer clock on Japanese time for the time being though!)

Oh... and about my last blog entry, in case you're wondering - yes within three hours of arriving my sister told me I was speaking weird ;-) (but actually I didn't mind a bit.)

1 Comments:

  • welcome back, Henrietta. SO lovely to have been hearing your news and praying for you over the last few years. Give us a ring when you get back to Barnstaple and come over for dinner. Love Gill Tewkesbury (I am in the phone book!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sunday, January 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home