Life of an English Hen

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Today: J-League Football Game, followed by Macdonalds

Today I had a brilliant day; one of my happiest here :-)

I met with Rika at 1pm. she's the one i met two weeks ago in a cafe. I thought I was going to be late as I only left my house at 12.30, due to our continual washing machine problem (one between 16 people, in the same room as the only shower in the house :) But I managed to cycle to the PO to get money, then to the train station, then tie up my bike sufficiently far away so not to be in the police 'no bike' zone, then catch the tube to Shijo, then walk to our arranged meeting point, and find her, in time! She was there with her little daughter so it felt like I was back with Mikiko again last year, when I visited and stayed with her and her young son for my first 5 days, getting admiring glances from people on the train, and carrying pushchaires up flights of stairs.

We got to the stadium fine, with only a few tears from little one. It was such great fun. 9000 people there. Rika had been given free tickets from her friend, who we met there who was with her little boy and her brother (although her husband was sitting in the stand opposite, as he was a full-member! which I thought seemed a bit mean of him, although i didn't even meet him! he goes every saturday.) And it was Kyoto Purple Sanga (the city team here) versus Nagoya Grampus Eight (the city team in Nagoya, another city not too far away). It was the last game of the season, and the crowd gave it good. There was banner waving, with one stand that was continually jumping up and down and singing to the beat of a big drum (quite nice songs actually; I found myself singing along), and the rest of us were more sedately sitting on our benches on our platforms but clapping occasionally, to join in and keep warm. Brilliant fun.. have I said that already?! We lost though, and next season the team will be relegated. But hopefully I can still go and watch anyway as the lady who has access to these free tickets hinted as much ;) The manager got seriously booed when he tried to come on the pitch to make his final sppech. Hope the poor man doesn't suffer from any problems over that - I know that can happen in Japan: suicides from that kind of shame.

After that Rika and daughter and I went back into the city, and Rika phoned the duaghter's father and invited him to join us for coffee. This was one of thier monthly or twice-monthly meet-ups, as they are no longer a couple. We had a great time, chatting, and I really enjoyed it. Rika's father was a famous comedian here in Japan, and she talked me through an article in last week's main national newspaper, (Asahi shinbun), in which she and three famous people (two TV actors and a writer) reflected on his life, 7 years on from his death.

Next I went to MacDoanlds to meet with Masako, who I met in there about 1.5 months ago. I stayed from 7.30-10.30pm; we had a great time chatting; I managed to translate a whole letter that she had received from a lady she knows from Australia, which I enjoyed. She is so patient; a perfect conversation partner. and I gave her an advent calender, as my mum sent me one but in fact there were two in the packaging ... Traidcraft making mistakes lucky for me!

I might not see Masako again til after Christmas, as her studies finish next week, and so she'll no longer be going to study there on Sat evenings, as has been her routine up til now. So after Chrsitmas I will also have to change my routine, as the only reason I go there is to see her. However I do now like it; it's much nicer than the British ones - it's like my little warm haven and I can sit and study there for ages, with cool blues or chilled music on and orange lighting. She won't be doing anything for Christmas day - no presents even. She said 'Well we're not christians'; also Christmas day is a working day this year. However I was pleased to hear that her divorced husband will be coming round, as they share a son (a bit like the other couple I was with earlier in some ways).

I also had a great time with God once I got back. I walked and talked and was assured by him of the pleasure of following him. It really was an adventure. He also spoke to me about following close behind him - following him. Sometimes it will be like we (Christians) are an elastic band, being stretched back, but then we need to hurry to catch up with him again. Even it it means looking a bit foolish, running along with others seeing. He also said to me that sometimes he leads us on side routes, that are parellel to the main road, and as it was at the time when I was wondering about these friendships I'm making, I thought that it means that these friendships that I'm forming are my work for now, for this year and next etc, but that they wouldn't be my main ministry forever - that some point he will lead me to the mian road where I am to walk with equal pleasure in Him, even admist the busyness and maybe even the 'urban-ness'.

I also saw some kanji, which I knew I'd learnt, hanging up outisde a shop, and also one by a house. So it has encouraged me to dig into it afresh, as I will find a use for it, even though today I couldn't remember any of the meanings!

Bless you, readers. I appericiate you taking the time to read about my life, and your support is great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home