Life of an English Hen

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Tokyo at night

Tokyo at night is pretty amazing. Thousands of lights, or as they say here, 'illumination'. I went up Tokyo Tower (taller than the Eiffle Tower but modelled on it) with a group of Hosei University girls and they loved it!

I felt very at home in my friend Hanae's flat. Hosei University (where I've had summer jobs looking after their students in Oxford for the past two years) have offered me a job, giving occasional lectures on their Interntional Relations course. Depending on what exactly is offered, I might be able to do that. It would mean I could visit Hanae more often and see some of the other students and staff too. Cos if missionary work isnt meeting with people (if you're a church planter or student worker at least), it is going in a funny direction.

I had an intersting time meeting with someone I met on skype; she has the same name as one of my friends so we met by 'mistake' in September. However when we went to the temple for sightseeing, she went up and thanked the deity for this 'chance' meeting. She recently returned from 3 years in New York, and is struggling to find her place in Japanese society. She much prefers the company of internationally-minded folk now. Likeise my two christian friends who started following Jesus in Oxford find churches here cold and unwelcoming, which is sad as that is all we have. But God lives on in them and takes good care of them, with the help of thier families too, and some caring people who write to them from England.

My highlights:
*going to the key shop and post office for Hanae in her district; I just felt like i was a resident there, esp when I bumped into two people I'd met the night before in Hanae's favourite cafe, and I love that feeling!
*seeing another friend from Oxford, who told me she is pregnant!
*the love of the Hosei female students for me, and esp Kaori, who is soft and vulnerable underneath her tough exterior and fashion exuberance. I just had a lovely email from her, sharing with me her dreams for the future! also when Hikari said 'i love you' when she said goodbye, that was lovely of her. I enjoyed seeing where she works.
*seeing Mayuka, another Hosei student, and getting to know Akiko, one of the staff. both really special and fun times.
* seeing Tokyo from Tokyo tower, which was quite a spiritual experince. Thought of my mum, dad and niece from the top, and also prayed for the as-yet-unborn babies of Sian and Mark, Sally and John, and Jo and Chuka. that felt special. it is an amazinf experience.* another spritual epxerience, quite breathtaking, was seeing Mount Fuji. rising up above, topped with a hat of snow.

Weird:
* being on the subway at 11.30pm/midnight, and it being packed like rush hour with businessmen returning home.
* it feeling 'normal' to be there, walking about, like I was in London.
* annoying that the station staff can speak very limited english.
* attending a Japanese party, but rather than people standing up and mingling with glasses in their hands, we were all sat down on the floor around a table with a hotpot on it! apparently thats what japanese people prefer.
* amazing bus up there, more like an aeroplane for service. blanket and slippers provided, only three seats per row of the bus with spaces inbetween and loads of leg room. Bus back not quite the same standard!

Church party tonight. Yuki had to withdraw, but Yo Shure and Choo from the house are hopefully coming. Lots of love and Merry Christmas!

1 Comments:

  • Hi Henri, just to say I've just started reading your blog, it's good! I'm putting myself together a little list of good blogs which I want to read, so I think you're about to go on it! Have a good Christmas.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sunday, December 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home