Life of an English Hen

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Walking on the Clifftops

Now married (!), Simon and I are house-sitting in Anglesey. Today we went on a coastal walk, after a quick carouse around Holyhead, (and a disagreement about whether we should sail over to Dublin or not ... we didn't...I tried to 'submit'). Anyhow, on our coastal walk, not only did we both see puffins for the first time nestling in the cliff craveses, approach a lighthouse, and stroke a horses' nose, we also learnt some spiritual lessons.

First, this is for me really, but God showed me that ships need a lighthouse's light to guide them, and planes need an air-traffic control tower (we can actually see our local RAF Base one from the bathroom window!), so do humans need a guide. Only in our arrogance do we think we can do it ourselves, and, put plainly, we get lost. Or, we think we have found the point of life - in a big open field of pleasures and amusements - whereas actually, 'narrow is the path' that we need to find. And we need a guide to find it.

Second, after a steep descent down many steps to the lighthouse, we discovered it wasn't the season for it to be open for visitors. Shame. So, slightly dispirited and pretty exhausted, we had to re-climb all those steep steps with little more than a one minutes break. I was tired. And when I looked at the steps in front of me, I had to go slowly, and take lots of rests. But when I had the bright idea of instead looking up to my husband, up ahead of me, I suddenly found myself moving forward with a lighter step and a heart that felt I could do it! There is another lesson in there, I thought - in the mountains and valleys of life, to look to our bridegroom up ahead: the Lord Jesus Christ!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home