Life of an English Hen

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Early mornings

from Friday Feb 16th, written but not posted then:

Well today (Feb 16th) has been a little strange. It started at 3.30am, with the sound of a text message arriving from a certain Simon Jackman from church back home. Lovely to get, to hear about him playing in the snow with his son! (I need to keep the phone on as i use the alarm clock, but maybe i'll think otherwise!) As a result I was, well, awake. Nothing more I could do. The room was cold, my mind was whirring. So i thought I could go to the daily church prayer meeting, 5am. So I went (first time), but there was no-one there. I stood outside in the cold for 20 minutes, then walked around and about to Macdonalds near my school, and I knew I was early as even that was shut (its shuts between 3am and 6am only). I stood in the entrance hall of a block of flats, after seeing that the doors opened automatically when a delivery-man went in, and I felt pretty miserable truth be told. I was alone; in a foreign country; I knew what it felt like to be an international student. (And I really feel for those studying in england now - i'm sure it's much the same for them in 'my' country). But at 6am I was in, breakfast in one hand (Ko-san from my language school gave me all these money-off coupons for meals before 10.30am, great!), and Japanese course books in the other hand, for 3 hours of study before school started at 9am. I recognised the man who served me. He liked me, I think. He wanted to speak in English, he wanted to smile at me. It felt good. I even got a free coffee, not sure that is allowed. So today I have studied for 6 hours (3 very early, 3 in afternoon). I have also had lessons for 3.5 hours. And tonight I played football for a few hours too. There was a new English guy there - Daniel. He wants to meet up; his girlfriend wants some english & female friends. I am the one. So I expect we shall, once exams are over (last 2 days in Feb, 1st day on March). So I've been awake since 3.30am, and it's been a good day. Productive. Most of what has gone on in my mind is not recorded, as like I say below, its a waiting game, I dont yet know the answers, but the questions are growing fainter. People in the Bible encourage me. God encourages me. Here (below) is what I wrote in my noteback, while sitting in MacD's today:

'I feel like I'm in a waiting game. Except it is hard - not like a game - not like the video game-play Alex Garland's 'The Beach'; or maybe, sometimes. The nice man in McDonalds was a pleasure to meet with today, at the counter. He smiled; I need smiles. He wanted to speak my language. He wanted to bless me. I got a free coffee for the price of a hash brown (plus a hash brown).

I think of Beth in Albania, and I'm grateful for her. I think of Lin here; she tries to smile, even though inside her life is a worry - future, acceptance into a career art university, parents disapproval. She encourages me to keep going.'

2 Comments:

  • I need to keep the phone on as i use the alarm clock, but maybe i'll think otherwise!

    Are you sure? Most phones don't ever really "turn off" so even when "off" they'll wake themselves up to play an alarm.

    By Blogger Phillip Fayers, At Tuesday, February 27, 2007  

  • I know what you mean. My british phone always turned itself on. But I tried it one time with this one. No response! It had really gone to sleep too and was no help in waking me up.

    By Blogger Henrietta, At Saturday, March 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home