Life of an English Hen

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A new name

When foreigners go and live in Africa, often, if they are lucky, they are given a new name by the local tribal chief, or the villagers. That custom seems far from Japan's technological and economic reputation, but still, this new year I was given a new name - in kanji.

The characters themselves spell out Henrietta Louise Dudgeon, but the thing with kanji is that there are lots of characters with the same pronounciations, so the fun thing for parents is to pick the ones they like the meaning of, or the look of. And my friend's brother-in-law decided I needed to join this club! So now I have a name which in kanji means:

Henrietta (4 characters!), meaning:
Having many hometowns
Being fruitful


Louise (3 characters!), meaning:
Wild boar (this new year's animal)
A sky-blue colour


Dudgeon (3 characters!), meaning:
Making direction
Giving love through religion
Beauty and pureness

My friend's are just being kind, but still, I hope it's a prophecy for me!

2 Comments:

  • Hen, that's very cool. Love the blog, btw, Neil

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thursday, January 04, 2007  

  • that's really pretty excellent. my sister is pregnant and we have been looking at the book of 50,001 baby names in search of something meaningful and prohpetic :)

    i often wish "mary" meant something beyond "bitter" because it seems to lack, well, beauty. ah well ...!

    By Blogger Mary, At Friday, January 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home