Life of an English Hen

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Going up?

EXAMS BLUES OVER AND OUT

Good mood tonight.

First of all, I got to give a gift to Ichikawa Sensei, to say thanks for teaching me these past months. She really liked it. It was a film she will like (and already likes). Second, she told me I think that I can move to A class next semester. This will be brill. So we were both 'ureshii' (happy). Third, I got home after a lovely meander through the church where I saw Naomi and used the internet, to find a nice package waiting for me from Albania, with a gorgeous bag inside, that I will use loads I know, and a lovely little notebook and card and calender. Thank you!! And also a nice letter from America from another friend. A very apt word inside too. Also very exciting is that, tomorrow, we get to do presentations in class about our countries. So mine is of course on England.

Thank you if you've been praying; it's been going well, as of, well, today! Speaking to my parents last night was also wonderful, and probably released in me a whole lot of relief somehow.
----
LADY OF THE HOUSE

The other thing to say is that we've got a new lady of the house. As we've got a shared kitchen, and shared shower, and therefore shared living space, this is quite something. At first she was described by Otosan (our landlord/live-in-owner) as his "family member". Of course we beleived him, until she started hanging around most of the time, and started cooking tea and watching his new gigantic TV with him. This was discssed in whispers amongst ourselves in the kitchen, over the biscuit basket she had started daily topping up with treats for us all. Now, she has definately moved in, and there are no more (or few) whispers. We can safely say she is the lady of the house. She does all the cleaning after us; sometimes washing our dishes 2 minutes after we've cleared the food from them ... I've never seen the kitchen, nor our basin area, looking so clean! We even have a new little dog hanging from our toilet door handle, and false roses by the sink. She is jovial and nice (we call her 'o ne san', which means older sister, although half the time she forgets that's her, so I've discovered its best not to call her anything), and she speaks only japanese with a strong local accent, so we can barely understand her. But just lately her and me have made friends. I give her shoulder massages, (quite a rarity in Japan, to actually have physical contact with someone), and I say thank you for her cleaning, and she gives me huge smiles and treats. I think we are friends of some sort. I feel like I'm on the "inside track" in our house at the moment; in January I was even given the favour of being lent Otosan's own device for airing futons (although admittedbly, that was after I asked Otosan if I could use the cleaner for the basins when they'd got so grotty over Christmas, and he felt guilty I'm sure for leaving them for so long). So even in the house, life is fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home