Life of an English Hen

Friday, March 23, 2007

I've had a great week. I really feel like I'm on holiday now. I've realised that, although I've had other days 'off' since arriving here in Septemeber, I haven't really relaxed until now; there's always been too many things to learn for me to really relax. But it's happened! This week was a breakthrough, and I really enjoyed it!

First of all, I went to Hikone, (via some offices in Otsu to get some papers to get a Japanese driving license, and also via a missionary couple's house in Kutastu where I had a cup of tea). In Hikone I stayed with the couple who lead WEC Japan, and thier two daughters. As well as doing some official stuff, I also visited Hikone castle, pictured here! It was a crisp day and despite getting 3 phone calls from my language teacher during the day, it was fun to explore and climb up inside the castle. It is listed as one of the top 20 spots to visit in Japan; kinda surprising it must be said. As I am 'officially' resident in Hikone (due to staying with WEC leaders there my first week), I got in for free! In the evening, we watched the DVD Hotel Rwanda together.

On Wednesday I cycled back to Yamashina, via Kusatsu again (with a car ride too), where I stayed til today, seeing Deborah. I also saw another cultural spot, Daigo, with friend Yuki and a guy I met in Macdonalds and his friend, as shown here.

I was going to cycle home yesterday, but it was raining, so after lunch with two nuns (by default, Deborah's choice ;), I actually came home today. But as it was still morning, I decided to cycle the other way down the river first, and I saw two new places: Toji terra (see below), and Fushimi inari (red arches) where I filmed part of the mountain-side route.
My room-neighbour Yo Shure leaves Sunday, so I told her tonight I am around tomorrow if she wants to do anything together. I feel kinda bad I haven't been around. Valerio and I just spent ages in the kitchen too; he was bored. I am very lucky really having people to see; I would be bored too if I hadn't come with any aim beyond language learning.
So my holiday continues but now 'at home'. I am now looking forward to moving rooms, on Monday, which is good. Until now I decided to move but wasn't ready 'inside' to, but now, I am ready. It's good for me to prepare myself for the next semester in there I think, and also prepare for hosting my guest there the following week.

Toji pagoda (left) Fushimi inari: red arches up the mountain




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home