Life of an English Hen

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Why is it hard to be a missionary?

I have been told by two missionary ladies recently that this line of work and life is hard. I am still trying to work out why.

I am reading George Whitefield's biography. For him, wow, it was incredibly hard! He travelled the breadth of America on horseback practically, preaching up to three times a day, and inbetween praying with people, setting up orphanages, battling against the mistreatment of black slaves.

But here it seems a little different. We are fairly static, we preach once a week (well, some do), I personally build on relationships, I have the pleasure of recognising I am in God's will.

One missionary said missionary life is hard here because we live in a culture different to our country's, all day, every day. Someone else I think meant it was because her life is very busy. I question both concepts, not because they're not true, they are, but are they different to others?

My brother, I am aware, works very hard in London. He also has family responsibilities, and takes an active part in the church: youth group, mens and mission meetings, sometimes preaching. He doesn't often get time to call me.

I also think of my friend Jo in the Netherlands. She is living outside her British home culture, and although she is adaptable and is 'into' langauges, it is also hard for her. Her husband works for an oil company and she stays home to look after their two (nearly three) children. She has to approach 'foreign' mums in the nursey, to attempt to make friends while feeling left out in the large part. She is also a Christian.

I also met Ingrid recently, here in Kobe. She is here to to be with her husband-of-one-year. She didn't choose to visit beforehand as, she said, she 'knew she would hate it'. But she made that sacrifice to be with the man she loves, and she also seeks to follow God in her life.

These aspects of cultural adaption, and being stretched to capacity within work and life, are therefore not unique to missionary life, as they might have been in the old days. I am not saying living abroad, or having work to do which can be day and night, isn't hard, but I am saying I don't think these reasons are worth stating too much. We risk stepping on someone else's toes!

For me, I think living differently to what the world and our school-education expects, is hard sometimes. Again, this is not unique to missionary life though. Others choose it through being mothers rather than following career, or following career rather than being mothers.
Another thing I think is difficult is forming strategy in the work, and then through self-movitivation and belief and hard work and God's power, seeing that stratagy through, when you don't always see results, and haven't got a load of other people to help you. Again, others do it, in hospitals and businesses across the world,. And in Christian organsiations we can still have managers, and those strategists, skilled in this, as well as the rest of us, carrying out those visions. But sometimes it seems, maybe becuase there are not enough people here yet, working as mission labourers, people are stretched into areas that are outside their regular capacity. Emotionally too, loving people in need is stretching, exhausting, and the disappointments involved when people fall out of church community or whatever are really tough. This isn't a protected life!

And now back to where we started. Those that are 'all out'. Paul. Paul in the Bible speaks of putting up with floggings, going without food and sleep.
'Because of my chains, most of my brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.' Phillippians 1.14
'I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.' Phillippians 4.12
'I want to know Christ and the power of sharing in his ressurection and the fellowhip of his sufferings' Phillippians 4.10
'Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflications, for the sake of his body, which is the church. I have become it's servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness ....so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labour, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.' Colossians 1.24-9 (abridged)

And yes, that can be our lives (not mine at present, I should add, but possibly for some). But I am a strong beleiver that each Christian is called where they are called, and as long as each of us is living within our calling, life is good in ways it wouldn't be otherwise.

Now something else about cultural adaption. I also have picked up on an Eastern mindset, of 'we must show we are stretched, working hard, being faithful workers'. It includes lists, serious faces, serrious meetings, jumping up to do the next chore when one needs doing. We choose to not talk about our time off as much as our time at 'work'. We are like Paul when he says to the Philippi church, 'I want you to know how much we are struggling for you and for those at Laodicea'; Col 2.1.

In Britain, in my experience, we just don't do this. We talk in our small talk about things outside work often: holidays planned, hobbies and sports, the kids, the parents. As Christians (in my UK church at least), we think it good to be light-hearted in how we cook the church dinner, we try to include and empower others, having a laugh while doing it. We model: 'Do everything without complaining or arguing...to shine like stars.... but even if I am being poured out like a drink offering..I am glad and rejoice with you.' Phil 2.14-17, abridged.

Both Biblical, but different.

I am also adapting, without realising, and with realising. I also now put on my serious, concerned face when I talk about my work, my study, my condition; it is real, but it as yet feels 'learned'. Sometimes when I am on the phone to my mum I even catch myself doing it, almost trying to 'prove' how much I am working; and naturally that does not connect well with her really. She wants to hear about fun, about times with friends, that i am simply 'happy'. I also find I am thinking about things more when decisions and discussions are involved, not to jump in too fast, but consider my response more carefully. I find I am now critical of some aspects of British culture (like lax attitude to student summer jobs often, as an example).

Without quite realising it, I am becoming...hmmm... Japanese?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home